[lug] MikTeX Update Wizard Failure

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 3 14:07:01 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 13:43, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 13:14, The Matt wrote:
> > Folks, I'm hoping you can help me with this.  I recently upgraded from
> > Qwest's Intel USB modem to the Actiontec (so I could use Linux).  But,
> > in doing so, I broke a few programs in Windows.  Some, like Kazaa, I
> > really don't care about, but I also broke MikTeX, and that annoys me.
> > Well, not MikTeX, but it's Update Wizard.
>

> Hi Matt,
>
> If you're using (or even thinking of using) Linux then you should switch
> to tetex which comes with nearly every Linux distribution.  Tetex is a
> *wonderful* package of LaTeX and related utilities:

Oh, no worries, I do use teTeX quite a bit (my boxes at work are Linux
and Tru64, so I'm quite used to latex;bibtex;latex;latex).  My main
reason for the MikTeX bits is two-fold.  One, it'll teach me a bit more
about routers/gateways/etc. that I don't know much about now.  Two,
Windows has WinEdt, far and away the best IDE for LaTeX I've ever used.
I love WinEdt and will probably use it for my thesis because it handles
large projects and .bib's much better than anything on Linux that I know
of.

As for Emacs...well, I'm on the other side of the holy war from you.  I
have myself a nice syntax file for LaTeX in VIM that I use.  I do do my
BibTeX stuff in XEmacs, though.  It's the best tool I know of right now
(pybliographic used to handle my bib's on Linux...but the recode/python
fun broke it).

Thanks, though.

Matt (who used to use LyX but enters enough equations that it seemed
moot to use it)

--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good