[lug] partitioning limits on scsi/RH (KRUD) 8.0

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Mar 3 16:31:36 MST 2003

I'm playing with partitioning on a RH 8.0 (KRUD) machine, to old scsi uw
drives. I'm trying to perhaps get more partitions than is possible,
because I want a lot of /boot/ partitions.

I notice that I can make only one extended partition (which can hold
four logical partitions), and wonder why? It seems the most I can make
are 3 primary partitions and 1 extended which contains 4 logicals.
Somewhere I swear I'd seen logicals beyond partition 9 (e.g., /dev/sda9
through /dev/sda12). Can anyone enlighten me on this, perhaps it was on
a non-Linux version of UNIX?

Also, vfat was supposed to have broken the 2 GB limit quite a while
back, although apparently win98 only has the ability to go beyond 2 GB
partition size in later versions (mine seems to be too old, it is one of
the very first). However, I'd hoped the mkfs.vfat provided with KRUD 8.0
would have the ability to go beyond 2 GB, but apparently it does not. Is
there some possibility of altering something such as a block size to
trick it into going beyond 2 GB (even if my 98 CD won't see it...if my
98 CD and install floppy can't see or go beyond 2 GB, then that leaves
me with linux to do it)? The partitions are definitely under 1024
cylinders, though even that shouldn't matter with scsi.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com