[lug] Suggested Colo's in Boulder, managed hosting?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Mar 3 17:07:09 MST 2003

Sean Reifschneider writes:
> We've also run into a lot of clients that just really don't maintain
> their machines very well.  It's understandable -- unless your business
> is doing Linux system administration, you probably want to concentrate
> on your business.  Our managed hosting offering includes our managing
> updates, so you don't have to do anything and the sendmail exploit (for
> example) is automatically fixed for you...

The biggest problem with updates, I find, is not in the update, but in
incompatibilities introduced by the update.  For example, we updated a
proxy host which no longer proxies correctly for SSL with certain
servers.  We had to back out the change on a host until we can fix the
problem.  There are other problems like customized /etc files that
I haven't seen solved well (in particular sendmail.cf is now causing
my redhat up2date to fail).

Rob