[lug] Suggested Colo's in Boulder, managed hosting?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Mar 3 19:32:06 MST 2003

Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 17:00, Bear Giles wrote:
>
>>Besides that issue, some servers contain sensitive information
>>that simply can't be trusted to third-parties.  The crypto keys on
>>my CA project, for instance.
 >
> One reboot, a rescue disk and a kernel module later, and you don't own
> your system anymore.

You need to take a break from reading Slashdot. :-)  Rackmount
hardware is not the same thing as desktop PCs, and even the
cheapest colocation facility has the racks under 24/7 video
survelliance.

I'm not suggesting that you keep the codes to your secret Swiss
bank account on such a box, but it can be made a lot more secure
than you suggest.

Bear