[lug] CIPE questions

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Mar 3 19:53:04 MST 2003

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Bear> I want to set up a CIPE network between my home network and my
> Bear> colo box.  Sitting between us is an AT&T/Comcast cable modem
> Bear> connection.  Has anyone tried to set up CIPE through AT&T?  Have
> Bear> they succeeded, or is it filtering CIPE traffic?
>
> I haven't setup a CIPE tunnel thru a cable modem, but I wouldn't think
> it would blocked. With CIPE you can use any port you like, and they
> are generic UDP packets. You should be able to find some port they
> aren't blocking. ;)

I wouldn't put it past some providers to block ALL UDP traffic.
Nobody really needs DNS....

> Works fine. The latency will of course depend on your connection
> between the two machines.

I've noticed some latency issues with X over SSH tunnels, possibly
  due to that failure mode mentioned in the CIPEs documentation.

> Almost all the distros have CIPE included now.

Debian does not.  But it's not a biggie since I'm already
rebuilding the kernel for JFS.

What will hurt is recompiling X, just to add SUN-DES-1 authentication.

Bear