[lug] Suggested Colo's in Boulder, managed hosting?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Mar 3 23:14:17 MST 2003

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> Even with rackmount hardware, physical access can override most security.

Of course anyone with unlimited physical access can get into the
box.  So what - they can't get in *undetected*, and if you have
information on the box that you're really concerned about you'll
have a contract with penalty clauses for such access.  They, in
turn, will probably insist that you use one of their secured
rooms, not the general racks.

If you don't care so much about it, you just reinstall the system
from original media and any rootkit is history.

As for being undetected, I don't care how hot you are at covering
your tracks in the various log files, you can't do anything about
information that disappeared down a rabbit hole when you powered
down the system to move it, or when it shut itself off when the
case was opened.

> Is anyone watching the video stream? If a tech was working at the rack next
> to yours, fully authorized, and tampered with your box when the colo space
> tech was in the bathroom, would anyone know?

If you have a heartbeat that shows something funny happened at
that same time, it really doesn't matter what the tech seemed to
be doing as long as it clearly shows that nobody else was in a
position to tamper with the box.

Bear