[lug] partitioning limits on scsi/RH (KRUD) 8.0

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Mar 4 08:02:48 MST 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 06:32 pm, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> * On 2003-03-03 23:30 D. Stimits <stimits at attbi.com> wrote:
> > I notice that I can make only one extended partition (which can hold
> > four logical partitions), and wonder why? It seems the most I can make
>
> It looks like from this:
>   http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3174/4/
> that these are real limits, arbitrarily chosen.

Except that it says you have a limit of 15 partition on SCSI and 63 on IDE,
so even on SCSI you should be able to create 11 logical partitions in your
extended partition.

Is it possible that you don't have all the devices created?  Check in /dev.
You you have sda1, sda2, ....sda11, or does it end at sda8?  If you don't
have the devices, you need to create them with mknod.

Michael