[lug] Colocation Continued...

Eric Peers eric_peers at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 08:52:49 MST 2003

First, I'd like to thank those that have recommended
the various sites for colocation. I've found a few
more places closer to Boulder that look promising.

And now on to the security/colo commentary...

Sean Reifschneider said...
>If you're managing DNS, do you have an
>agreement to get secondary DNS service from a site
that is
>geographically and network-wise diverse?

I've been thinking about this one. My server is not
mission critical (personal web pages for myself &
friends). I was planning on putting DNS on the same
server as the web services. If this server goes down,
DNS fails. But if this server goes down, DNS doesn't
have anything to point at. So it's kind of silly to
have a secondary DNS server, isn't it? Or am I missing
something here? (I am a novice at this)

You make a good point about having backup hardware.
I'll have to look at that.

As for the general physical security question, while
it's interesting, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Here's your chance to instruct me on general security
though. ;)  Is there an intrusion kit that works well
for testing your machine, i.e. exploits known security
holes and suggests fixes? One of the things I've been
thinking about is how to discover if someone has
"hacked" my machine. Most times a good hacker will
cover their tracks (replaces ps with a new binary,
modifies sys logs, etc). Do you folks email failed
loging attempts / suspicious activity to a 3rd party
mail account? Or is there another good way to track
this?

   --eric