[lug] Colocation Continued...

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 4 15:48:22 MST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 08:52 am, Eric Peers wrote:
> I've been thinking about this one. My server is not
> mission critical (personal web pages for myself &
> friends). I was planning on putting DNS on the same
> server as the web services. If this server goes down,
> DNS fails. But if this server goes down, DNS doesn't
> have anything to point at. So it's kind of silly to
> have a secondary DNS server, isn't it? Or am I missing
> something here? (I am a novice at this)

Imagine the scenario where your name server crashes or is victim to some DoS
attack, but httpd keeps running fine.  In this case, there would be some
benefit to having a secondary name server out there.  Sean already mentioned
a mail delivery failure that could occur if MX records were not available at
all times.

There are many registrars that will provide secondary (and even primary) DNS
services at no extra charge.  Gandi.net is one of those.