[lug] socket programming/kernel question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Mar 4 18:53:45 MST 2003

Zan Lynx wrote:
> I don't think you can with a datagram socket.  Try using a stream Unix
> socket and see what happens.

Stream sockets don't really match the problem.  I'm not saying I
couldn't make a gatekeeper work, just that it would be very
artificial.

> Also, I believe that Linux uses a positive increment on pids and wraps
> around when it runs out.  So there will be some time before pid reuse
> unless your machine is spawning furiously.

There are pid-based attacks.  Just stay in a tight loop spawning
processes (and killing them) until you get the desired pid.  That
requires local access, but not root access.

Bear