[lug] Would the real mjh please stand up? :)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Mar 5 07:33:11 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 05:25, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> IMHO that's a pretty nice journal - theiy have very good articles for
> the programming oriented Tuxer --unfortunatley it's painfully expensive
> even in europe (outside the UK).

Their layout is very end user oriented, not developer oriented.  When
you do that you can get a bit more flashy in your layout.

As for price, LinuxFocus is run by Future Publishing, which has 100's of
titles.  So it's pricing is based on lots of market research.  Linux
Journal and Linux Magazine are wholly owned.  There is a big difference
there.  Then again, Maximum Linux was also a Future Publication, but it
couldn't survive in the US.  LF has the advantage of not being primarily
based in the US market and being one of the first in that market.

I always felt there was room for only 2 Linux-specific magazines in the
US market.  Sys-Con is putting out a new one soon for Business folks.
It might be differentiated enough to survive, but LJ and LM are pretty
well entrenched.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Chinese Proverb: