[lug] htpasswd security

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Mar 5 11:13:04 MST 2003

> Nah, this machine has only my stuff on it.  A vanity web page that gets
> hits from me, as it has ssh java app from mindterm.

Uhh, this just dawned on me...

Tim, are you saying...

http (no encryption) ---> SSH app (encryption) --> to another machine?
Is that what you're saying is on that webpage?

If that's the case, you need to enable SSL to the webpage.  Since it's
Debian, definitely just type:

apt-get update; apt-get install apache-ssl

Answer all the questions during the installation.
Then use https:// instead of http:// to get to your site.

You'll be all set up with a self-signed cert that works fine other than the
browser warnings.

Purrrrty simple.  (GRIN)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com