[lug] htpasswd security

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Mar 5 11:49:44 MST 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Absolutely not.  Here is the deal.  You make a certificate.  All the
> encryption is based on that cert.  You then either sign it yourself, or
> pay to have a so-called CA (certificate authority) sign it.  What you are
> buying is their promise to third parties that your cert really belongs to
> you.

A number of us are working on free (both ways) or low-cost CAs.
The reason for the "low cost" is that email-only certs only get
you so far, with a nominal credit card charge the CA can verify
your name and address for a much more credible cert since the CA
can provide some level of assurance about the accuracy of the
information.  With some cash flow they can also afford to pay for
real security. :-)

The reason BeastMark (mine) is an over-engineered monster compared
to the others is because I want it to work with installers and
third-party RAs.

"Installers" means that you could install a Debian or RedHat
package that is smart enough to scan your package list, answer a
few question, and then acquire and install a dozen server
certificates throughout your system.

"Third-party registration authorities" means that BLUG, say, could
decide to issue personal certificates to members so they could
prove their membership, send secret messages to each other, access
a secure web site that requires client certs, whatever.  All they
need to do is write a JMS "registration authority" and subscribe
to the BeastMark message server.  The BLUG RA would then be able
to provide profiles (think blank certificate requests) via all
interfaces, and approve certificates for their members.

To me, it's the latter service that will make CAs useful. I really
don't care whether Verisign says some unknown bozo has managed to
get a certificate.  Aren't they the same company that routinely
transfers domains to the wrong party (the "sex.com" case being the
most notorious)?  On the other hand, if some group I routinely
deal with vouches for somebody that means a lot more to me.

You can do this today... if you have a spare $100k (or thereabout)
burning a hole in your pocket.  (The CA is actually bundled with
something else, that's not the cost of the CA itself.)

Bear