[lug] Linux hardware

Daniel Webb webb at danielwebb.us
Thu Mar 6 21:18:07 MST 2003

> Out of curiosity, Daniel, what compiler are you using for the Intel and
> AMD processors?  I recall hearing that Intel's floating point operations
> are not nearly as good as AMD's but that gcc doesn't take advantage of
> some of the AMD's capabilities.  Does that seem reasonable based on your
> experience?

  We're just using gcc since it's what we know.  Someone in the other
group may need to run some Fortran90 code, though, so GNU won't cut it for
that.  Any recommendations out there for a free or low cost Fortran90
compiler?

  If what you say is true, then the AMD advantage for my problem
(integration) will be even greater, and the comparison should be about
the same for the other group's problem (collision search).

  We haven't had time to look into any kind of parallelization approach,
and I just got everything running right a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure
how we're going to handle all this processing power.  Condor (a really
powerful batch scheduler) just went free-software, by the way, so that's
probably what we'll use eventually.

Daniel