[lug] nat and proxy firewall rules

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Fri Mar 7 14:47:58 MST 2003

Folks,

I'm playing around with Krud 8.0 to setup a firewall.  What I'd like to do
is NAT a subnet, allowing out all traffic.  For incoming, I'd like to
proxy mail to go from one particular outside server to one particular
inside server.  Hmm, I'd like to be able to ssh in to an inside box, too,
but the pattern should be the same.

I'm trying to avoid doing things like running a mail server on the
firewall -- I'd like to do it all with the firewall rules.

I took a look at isinglass but it seems geared toward ppp setups, not
NATting and masquing.  I've always been a bit confused about isinglass's
relationship to the redhat firewall setup, anyway.  And whatever I type
into redhat at install time for the firewall, the text "setup" tool always
wants to give me high firewall settings.  *shurg*

So, if anyone has a favorite site for documentation, please send it my
way.  http://monmatha.mplug.org has some info, and some scripts, and I've
started to look through those.  I don't think it covers the incoming smtp
redirect, though.  And the firewall HOWTO I found pawns you off to a
non-existant site for help with iptables.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew Diederich
diederic at boulder.net