[lug] some general questions

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Mar 11 09:12:00 MST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:49:24PM +0800, Chan Kar Heng wrote:

> greetings.
>
> would like to know if anyone has seen anything like a java applet
> or a microsoft COM object embedded on a web page allowing
> access to a remote X server?

Well, if i recall correctly, there's a java version
of VNC, so this might be the easiest way to run a remote
session.

> for example, perhaps i could use a URL like:
>
> ssh://www.remotexapps.com/openoffice/
>
> .. and the remotexapps server would start openoffice and have
> it running at remotexapps server while openoffice displays
> openoffice user interface on my local browser...

... but with all documents on the remote machine, i assume?

> next thing i would like to find out is.. how well are current
> versions of linux supporting USB? i've not dabbled with linux
> for a while already now... and am just curious about this.
>
> how well is the support for things like USB cables that connect
> computer to computer,

never seen those.

> USB thumb LAN devices,

work

> USB light,

no kernel support needed, they just drain your power ;-)

> USB mobile phone chargers,

same as above. What a stupid idea, IMHO. The last thing i want
is even _less_ power left for my laptop.

>USB cams, USB card readers,

worked for me.

> USB thumb drives, etc?

No experience.