[lug] some general questions

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Mar 11 12:14:29 MST 2003

Chan Kar Heng wrote:

> would like to know if anyone has seen anything like a java applet
> or a microsoft COM object embedded on a web page allowing
> access to a remote X server?

X is not exactly a cheap protocol.  If you need X, you need X, but
are there alternatives?

If you just need basic connectivity, it shouldn't be too hard to
write a Java applet that gives you basic xterm functionality and
connects to a telnet server on the originating site.  (Remember
that the Java sandbox only lets you connect to the site that
originated the applet.)

If you want something more... life gets interesting.  It's easy to
write Mozilla plug-ins, and you could conceivably have a plugin do
pretty much anything.  But the plugin has to work on the platform
you download it to, so it might not give you enough flexibility.

But if you can work within that constraint, you can do some pretty
amazing things.  A while back I ported the 'qix' mode from the
screensaver to a Netscape/Mozilla plugin.  It was weird seeing it
running within a web page, esp. since I simplified it to
monochrome for testing.

Bear