[lug] "Cache" under linux

Eric Peers eric_peers at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 11:54:22 MST 2003

When I run top, I notice that I have very little free
memory in my system, and yet the process memory usage
count does not reflect this used memory.

So I found a command called free:
crampon> free
             total       used       free     shared
buffers     cached
Mem:        998748     899816      98932          0
 134052     558556

what is this "cached" memory usage? Is it for virtual
memory? is there a way to control the amount of it
which is used for paging? Should I even worry about
it? (because it seems to grow in size the longer I use
my system).
   --eric