[lug] "Cache" under linux

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Mar 13 18:37:00 MST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:54:22AM -0800, Eric Peers wrote:
>When I run top, I notice that I have very little free
>memory in my system, and yet the process memory usage
>count does not reflect this used memory.

Top should not say "free", it should say "wasted"...  A small free
memory pool is kept to satisfy allocations, and the rest of the memory
holds cached copies of data that has recently been read from or written
to disc, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread...

Sean
--
 People who interview themselves shouldn't criticize writing styles.
                 -- John Bentley, Programming Pearls