[lug] linux system cloning

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Mar 14 17:45:05 MST 2003

HI,

I would like to "clone" an installed Linux system from a small disk to
a larger disk.  Ghost can't do this with reiserfs and mondo is
currently not a good choice with their complaints about glibc library
problems...

If the disks were identical in size I would use dd but my disk size
increase appears to prevent this solution.

I don't see why I couldn't manually partition my new disk, copy all of
its contents, and then fix the boot sector.  My initial attempts
failed however - grub only shows part of its greeting.  I suspect that
the bootsector (first 512 bytes) is correct but my relocation of /boot
through the different disk geometry may be spoiling this idea.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid