[lug] High Availability and Load Balancing Linux?

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Mar 16 21:14:48 MST 2003

Richard Heintze said:
> Does Linux support failover on Dual ported RAID?
> Does Linux support load balancing with two nodes
> connected to a dual ported RAID? I believe it needs a
> distributed lock manager to do this. Does it have one?

First, please see http://hutnick.com/writings/goodsubject.html.  Replying
to a digest is super un-helpful.

To generally answer your questions:

Hardware RAID is only dependent on the OS in terms of drivers.  If there
is a driver all of the RAID controller's features should work as expected.

Linux includes a complete set of software RAID features.  See
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html.

There are some HA and load balancing packages.  See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=high+availability+linux&spell=1
and
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=load+balancing+linux&btnG=Google+Search
for HA and load balancing info.

You might notice that it is very easy to find this sort of info by typing
a few key words into google.  As another example, I found the above LDP
link to the Software RAID HOWTO here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=linux+software+raid+howto&btnG=Google+Search

Good Luck,

Peter