[lug] NTP Software (was: Linux clock loses time)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 17 15:43:49 MST 2003

> A few months ago Linux Jnl ran an article on Chrony,
> an NTP (network time protocol) system especially for computers
> that aren't always connected to the net:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5657
>
> How does it compare with other NTP software?
> Are there better solutions?

You could take a look at Debian's start/stop scripts for ntp... they've
always had "sane" start/stop scripts for the ntp and ntpdate packages that
handle re-synching when you boot, etc.

I find that I tend to copy Debian's start/stop style scripts (with
modifications if needed) into the start/stop scripts of other distros... if
the machine has a bad on-board CMOS clock or generally acts flakey
time-wise, or if it's a laptop I always have a clock in the tray on the
desktop and if it gets off, I just fire up ntpdate.

Otherwise my machines rarely if ever get booted and regular ol' ntp by
itself works fine...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com