[lug] Slackware 8.1 RAID setup-howto

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Mar 17 17:06:38 MST 2003

EBOLA_rulez wrote:

> hi lug,
>
> Howdy All!
>
> I've recently built a few Slackware 7.1 based servers that required
> software
> mirrored boot disks and filesystems and am tossing around the idea of
> sharing my experience.  I used the Software RAID HOWTO to help me through
> it, but obviously had to engineer a lot of the retrofitting of RAID into
> Slackware myself.  The existing HOWTO is broad on this topic and only
> provides insight on how to retrofit a system that's already installed.
>
> I've had a couple of friends ask me how I did it and I'm wondering if it
> would be worth my time to put the process into an "official" mini-HOWTO.
> Would anyone here be interested in reading/criticizing it of I did put one
> together?  Would anyone specifically like to see me put one together?
>
> I'll probably put something together regardless, since my friends are
> bugging me, but I just thought I would pass it through the group and
> see if
> there's any interest in having me put something official together.
> I'd kind
> of like to give back to the Linux community, so please let me know if
> there's any interest.

Just a suggestion: Putting the FAQ on a public email list like this
makes it available for google searches (along with the request for
critique). Also, people who do not consider themselves gurus of RAID
probably won't answer an open question, but if you post it, then people
might see particular parts worth a reply, and provide feedback. Just
post any HOWTO you make, don't worry about how many people answer about
interest right now.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com