[lug] apt-update and apt-upgrade to testing

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 17 23:27:00 MST 2003

The "testing" version never seemed to be implemented "right" to me... it's
supposed to be "less broken" than unstable but it tends to have missing
dependencies and stuff from time to time as the automated stuff behind the
creation of it removes any package with major bugs filed against it... I
just run unstable on desktop machines I'm "playing" with, check the channel
subject line on irc.debian.org (OpenProjects network) because people always
post the big fat warnings about major breakage in unstable there first, and
go for it in most cases.  You need apt-get dist-upgrade to get there, of
course from stable... usually.

On servers, the tools now make it relatively easy and painless for you to
run stable and use source packages from unstable or testing to build binary
packages on the stable box for things you absolutely must upgrade.  That
works well for "production" machines.

Not that I've ever been able to convince an employer to ever run Debian over
RH...

(Anyone else notice this... the reason is always "because we can get support
for RedHat", but I've never once called RedHat support for ANYTHING on any
server since RedHat 5.1 for any employer... snort... nor would any employer
ever pay for such a call... whatever...)

As far as staying up to the "latest and greatest" on Debian... a lot of
people "out there" keep unofficial APT archives... I think there's even a
website devoted to tracking them... if what's in unstable isn't "new" enough
for someone and they don't want to build from source or make their own
package... of course, YMMV on how much you trust someone else's binaries and
your overall level of paranoia...

Debian's packaging tools are really powerful here in that you can make your
own packages relatively easily (well, you can now with RPM's too... they
used to be much harder a few years back...) and if you messed up your
package you can uninstall it easily -- treat it just like a regular
package...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com