[lug] Slackware 8.1 RAID setup-howto

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 15:38:39 MST 2003

Harris, James wrote:

> Sorry for not post commenting on this one, but I want to keep things
> clean.
> Two things:
>
> 1) EBOLA-rulez, (please, show your name, spam is a way of life) when post
> commenting on a message as such in the future, please do something to help
> distinguish the forwarded or replied-to part of the message and your own
> comments.  For a few moments, it appeared as though you had just posted my
> original message with no comments at all, which I momentarily found
> offensive.

I don't know why it would look like a simple repaste. I always provide
my name and email, although in an anti-spam way (spam is a topic near
and dear to my heart, I chase it down and crush it like that Russian
boxer in the movie Rocky, when he says "I must break you!" in a Russian
accent). I even write to my Senator to boost measures against spam. When
domains don't offer a way to stop a spammer, I write to the registar of
the domain and get the domain removed.

> 2) Unfortunately, I never wrote the how-to.  No one showed _any_ interest
> and I didn't see the time justified as a result.  I love to give back
> to the
> community when I can, but unfortunately the time required to write such a
> how-to was greater than I had available back then.  Now, booting RAID on
> slackware is a heck of a lot easier since 8.1 was released.

Most people will not know they want this HOWTO until they run into your
situation. Many people are thinking about a particular RAID setup when
they are about to investigate feasibility of a new box...if something
out there says it can be done they do it, if not, they find another way.
The lack of interest could simply be the specialty of topic and lack of
people considering a new box by this design at this current moment. BLUG
is large as far as LUGs go, but it is only a scratch on the surface of
people interested in RAID style boxes, don't be so discouraged. On the
other hand, one does usually need to consider effort required versus
return, so it is still possible it isn't worth your time...just likely
it is more worth it than it appears from responses.

> I've since stopped using Slackware regularly , but could
> provide suggestions on how to do it with 8.1  I've booted it up and
> checked
> what's available and all of the tools and kernel support are there.
> You'll
> just have to do some manual footwork before running setup, but it
> should be
> a heck of a lot easier.  Please let me know if you'd like me to review the
> process and I'd be happy to run through it (let's hear it for vmware.)

I don't personally have that interest now, but I recall having run into
a need for it in the past, which is what prompted me to suggest it might
be worthwhile. Actually, RAID and specialty disk management would be a
good topic for a BLUG presentation.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com