[lug] Re: NTP Question - thanks!

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Mar 18 15:56:01 MST 2003

George Sexton wrote:
> Here you go. $999.00 and it's yours.
> http://www.spectracomcorp.com/ebuy.html

I'm not sure about window-mounted antennas.  I've seen disk
antennas that should be roof mounted running about $300.  (Think
something maybe 6" across and about an inch high, very roughly.)
You need a good view of the sky because you need to be able to see
at least three GPS satellites to solve for lat/long/time, but any
additional satellites will give you better accuracy.

> Many thanks for all the tips on NTP.  It works!
> It seems to track within about 100 milliseconds.
> Which is way better than by hand.

100ms still seems high, says the guy who just noticed that I'm
about a second off.  (But my cable modem was down pretty much all
day yesterday.)  My numbers are usually in the 10-20 msec range.