[lug] NTP question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Mar 19 11:16:46 MST 2003

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> People are welcome to use ntp1.tummy.com and ntp2.tummy.com, of
> course...

On a related note, I noticed that my time sources have drifted
apart by a matter of seconds.  Granted, the worst offender is
AT&T/Comcast, and I don't recall whether they ever officially
announced the availability of a NTP signal for customers, but
still....  (I suspect this might be a victim of the merger - the
stratum 1 server seems to have become nonresponsive so this server
is free-running.)

But at the same time, I noticed a significant difference between
tummy and my colo ISP's time.  Since tummy connects to NIST I tend
to give it a bit more weight, but the fact that there's any
difference at all drives home the point that getting an accurate
time is a lot more than just firing up the NTP daemon.