[lug] Changing kernel installation directory...

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Mar 21 16:47:37 MST 2003

Dhruva Reddy wrote:

> What I meant was, I assume this is in one of the many make files, and
> would
> like to know which one of these to hack.
>

> >When I build a kernel, I would like the "install" target to put the
> kernel
> >image and all the associated stuff in /boot, rather than in the root
> >directory.  Does anyone know, offhand, where I can change this?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dhruva

I couldn't tell you which to hack, but you don't need to. Just copy
bzImage to /vmlinuz-`uname -r` (where uname -r is the future uname -r of
that kernel), and System.map /System.map-`uname -r`. Module install
stage is not effected. If you need an initial ramdisk, run mkinitrd with
the right parameters, and place the initrd in /. Then edit your
grub.conf or lilo.conf and update the boot loader...you're done (other
than testing).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com