[lug] Apache httpd problem

Justin-lists glow at jackmoves.com
Sat Mar 22 19:32:41 MST 2003

This just started happening for really no apparent reason the last couple
days. What has been done to the box recently was:
Redhat update (up2date) to update kernel to 2.4.18-27.8.0.
Redhat update that upgraded the glibc.

Whenever I try to access any of my websites that are hosted by my webserver I
get the following in my log:
[Sat Mar 22 18:52:35 2003] [crit] [client 12.235.229.12]
/home/httpd/html/images/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess
file, ensure it is readable

I get this error for *every* directory that contains web files whenever a
browswer trys to access anything in that directory. My Apache server has been
unchanged for months and not a thing has changed. I now get "Access Denied"
for all my sites. If I touch the .htaccess log it is complaining for the site
will soft of work. But then I get the error for directories below the httpd
root directory.I have no idea why every directory is being checked to have a
.htaccess, it shouldn't be doing that. In the back of my mind I keep thinking
of that kernel level httpd daemon and whether it could be interfering somehow
since my latest kernel update? Any ideas why in the world my server is
behaving this way? Please help, tia.

Justin

glow at jackmoves.com