[lug] Wireless kit?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Mar 23 11:10:46 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 10:14, Tony Dyson wrote:
> Now that Comcast cable has reached our neighborhood, I'm considering how
> best to use it. Netgear's "CG814M Wireless Cable Modem Gateway" is on
> their approved list & looks like a reasonable proposition.
>
> Googling for info on the "MA401 802.11b Wireless PC Card" produced mixed
> reports. Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives that work 'out
> of the box' with RH8?

Pretty much all of the cards based on the Prism2.x chipset will work
"out-of-the-box".  See:

  http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/
  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

for lists of cards known to work.  And beware of manufacturers who have
newer cards with very similar names to the older (compatible) cards but
use completely different (and incompatible!) chipsets.  An example
recently discussed on this list is:

  D-Link:
    DWL-650 ==> Prism2 chipset ==> works just fine with Linux
    DWL-650+ ==> TI chipset ==> does *NOT* (yet?) work with Linux

The NetGear MA401, Addtron AWP-100, Linksys WPC11, and Lucent/Orinoco
cards have all worked in my ThinkPad with KRUD 7.3 or 8.0.  And I've had
bad experiences with a loaner Cisco Aironet card but I think that was
due to the security setup on that network (the newer Cisco cards can
work with both standard 802.11b and also with their own non-standard
security extensions).

In fact, my connection at the moment is through an Addtron AWP-100.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483