[lug] Apache httpd problem

Justin-lists glow at jackmoves.com
Sun Mar 23 13:37:14 MST 2003

Well, I found a work around, for now. But I do not understand why apache is
acting the way it is when it has been configured the same way for 2 years
without problem. I found out that if I set my AllowOverride to "None" things
will work. If I put *anything* in the AllowOverride parameter other than None,
I get that error:
~ .htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

So, I went through my httpd.conf and switched all my AllowOverride settings
(hosted sites, sub directories, etc) to "None" and it all works fine, other
than I do not have my overrides in there anymore. Question is, why in the
world would this suddenly change? Apache did not change one bit, only things
that changed was the kernel upgrade and glibc updates. I am completely boggled
by this...I have already completely rebuilt and installed Apache twice now and
tested the AllowOverride option each time. Same results both times...

Justin

glow at jackmoves.com