[lug] WTD: Slot 1 CPU; sound card; more?

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 24 09:50:04 MST 2003

I would like to upgrade the CPU in my home PC.  The motherboard manual
says it will accept up to a PIII 850, but newsgroup postings indicate it
will go up to a 1 Ghz.  I would be interested in anything faster than,
and including, a PIII 500 Mhz.  The catch is I don't want to pay that
much.  For some reason these slot 1 CPUs command a premium on ebay
(Why?).  The 850's go for as much as $175 and I just can't pay anywhere
near that, plus the fact that I don't think they are worth it.  To help
sweeten the deal a bit I will give my current PII 400 Mhz to someone on
the list if I get an upgrade on the cheap.

I would also like to find a used Sound Blaster PCI sound card and
(hopefully) the driver CD.  I have an Ensoniq that is not playing nice
in my system and would like to try a genuine Sound Blaster.  It doesn't
have to be a fancy one.  I will also give my current card to someone on
the list if I get a nice deal on a Sound Blaster.

Though a low priority, I might also be interested in a stick of PC100
SDRAM, either 128 MB or 256 MB, if the price is right.

Oh, I also need a 3.5" floppy drive and a 100 MB Zip disk.

The prices I have in mind are:

CPU:  $25 - $50 depending on speed.
Sound card:  $5.00 - $10.00 depending on the card.
RAM:  $5.00 - $10.00
Floppy and Zip:  ??