[lug] WTD: Slot 1 CPU; sound card; more?

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 24 13:47:33 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 10:39, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Gary Hodges wrote:
>
> > The prices I have in mind are:
> >
> > CPU:  $25 - $50 depending on speed.
> > Sound card:  $5.00 - $10.00 depending on the card.
> > RAM:  $5.00 - $10.00
> > Floppy and Zip:  ??
>
> I should have mentioned that I can be somewhat flexible on prices
> depending on the hardware.  I don't really expect someone to offer an
> 850 Mhz CPU for $50.

Just a question, but have you thought about using a Slocket and a
Flip-Chip PIII?  Most people I know with Slot 1 boards do that.  Example
(though, I don't know this person and give no assurances on his links):

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/DellOPTIPLEX/GX1.htm

and Intel's waiver in re Slockets:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/ssalist.htm

Of course, if possible, a Slocket + Celeron is much cheaper (would be
about $50 for a Celeron 1.1A and a Slocket retail), so if your board
supports Celeron that might be the way to go.

(Heck, some overclocker here probably has an old Slocket lying around.)

Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good