[lug] CSS Question - Really Trivial

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Mar 24 14:01:59 MST 2003

The Matt wrote:

> As the Subject line says, this isn't important, but it got me to
> wondering about CSS and its capabilities.  Looking at Red Hat's RH9
> (marketing?) page:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/mktg/rh9iso/
>
> I was struck by how much I hated that "offset" text look of the "Option
> #"  But, I thought, it'd be interesting to make up a CSS stylesheet that
> could do that, if possible.
>
> So, to any CSS gurus out there, is there a way to get that "offset text
> in a box" look like that without resorting to "text images"?  I'm
> guessing no, but I've been surprised by the power of CSS before.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

I'd have to do a lot of trial and error to get it right, but the answer
is "yes, depending on the browser". Likely the most painless browser to
get the CSS to do that on is the latest Mozilla, perhaps IE 6 as well. I
definitely wouldn't count on older browsers to be able to do that via
CSS, which is probably why they used an image and table features instead
of pure CSS.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com