[lug] RHN Basic--Worth the money?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Mar 24 14:13:16 MST 2003

The Matt writes:
> With the veritable deluge of mail from Red Hat concerning Red Hat 9
> today, I was wondering if any one out there can comment on the value of
> a "Basic" RHN subscription.  Is it worth the $60/year for the "priority"
> access to errata for a person that rides Rawhide as much as I do?

I have 14 machines on RHN Basic.  My main complaint is that it only
entitles me to managed downloads without real support.  I sent a
message to rhn-help a few days ago, and have yet to hear back.  They
sent me an automatic message about my credit card date, and it took
them days to respond to my response.

On a side note: I just upgraded samba to 2.2.7a with RHN, and
basically, it doesn't work.  There's some bug with Emacs and locking.
Every time Emacs checks to see if the file has changed on disk, Samba
or XP hangs for 10 seconds.  I mailed the Samba list, but no answer.
Anybody know how to turn off Emacs so it doesn't check the file every
few keystrokes.  Autosave seems to work, or rather, turning off
autosave doesn't change this lousy behavior.  This is one of the
dangers of RHN.  You assume they've tested their updates.  We don't
update Apache or Postgres with up2date, because Red Hat doesn't
compile Apache statically, and Postgres is way out of date.

Thanks,
Rob