[lug] xwindows problem

Brett brett at its.bldrdoc.gov
Mon Mar 24 10:21:29 MST 2003

I am having a problem with xwindows. I installed Linux 8.0 on a P2 Dell
with 4Gig HD and 256Meg RAM. I installed 8.0 to boot in text mode, but I
did install x-windows and GNOME packages to use xwindows. When I
initially booted up after installation, I typed 'startx' and the GNOME
screen came up and then the desktop appeared with no problems. I
rebooted the system by typing 'reboot' from a terminal window and now
when I typed 'startx' from the text mode, the initial GNOME screen
appears (not the desktop screen) and freezes. I have encountered this
problem on older versions of RedHat, but I do not remember how to fix
this problem. The only thing I remember was editing an X11 or XFree86
file. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Brett