FW: [lug] xwindows problem

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Mar 25 13:10:13 MST 2003

Brett wrote:

> I apologize; I sent this message out a few days ago, but unfortunately
> my e-mail address was incorrect. If anyone responded to me, please
> forward your response again. Thanks.
>

> I am having a problem with xwindows. I installed Linux 8.0 on a P2 Dell
> with 4Gig HD and 256Meg RAM. I installed 8.0 to boot in text mode, but I
> did install x-windows and GNOME packages to use xwindows. When I
> initially booted up after installation, I typed ‘startx’ and the GNOME
> screen came up and then the desktop appeared with no problems. I
> rebooted the system by typing ‘reboot’ from a terminal window and now
> when I typed ‘startx’ from the text mode, the initial GNOME screen
> appears (not the desktop screen) and freezes. I have encountered this
> problem on older versions of RedHat, but I do not remember how to fix
> this problem. The only thing I remember was editing an X11 or XFree86
> file. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

You might try cleaning out temp files. If your user name is "foo", you
would do this:
rm -f /tmp/orbit-foo/*
rm -f /tmp/.ICE-unix/*
rm -f /tmp/.X11-unix/*

In addition, you might look in the home directory of the particular user
and view the .xsession-errors file. Perhaps it would help to rm
~/.Xauthority. Also, try adding a new user name with a clean home
directory, and see if that user can startx...if it is possible, then you
know it is a file associated with the individual user, either in home
directory or in a tmp directory named after the user.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com