[lug] Bad Apache problem?

Justin-lists glow at jackmoves.com
Tue Mar 25 15:07:52 MST 2003

Thanks for the reply. I am going to skip some of the questions because one of your other suggestions has led me to believe the problem was a result of the glibc updates. I ran 'ldd /usr/sbin/httpd' and checked all the shared libraries for Apache. Interestingly enough almost all of the files were updated when the glibc update completed. A couple of them for example are:
[glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ ls -l /lib/libcrypt.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Mar 21 00:11 /lib/libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.3.2.so

[glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ ls -l /lib/libresolv.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Mar 21 00:11 /lib/libresolv.so.2 -> libresolv-2.3.2.so

If we look at my up2date log we see:
[Fri Mar 21 00:11:07 2003] up2date installing packages: ['glibc-2.3.2-4.80', 'glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80', 'glibc-devel-2.3.2-4.80']

When searching google on my htaccess error a couple days ago, I came across something that talked about how libcrypt was at fault for the error. The thread I found was a couple years old though. I'll have to try and dig that up again.

My assumption is that whatever changed in the shared libraries is causing Apache to behave different than it should. That would also explain why I couldn't ssh into the box until a reboot since sshd uses almost all the same crypto libraries. Now I'm just wondering how to fix this. Backing out to the older glibc is probably not a good idea and I'm not sure how to fix this in Apache? Thanks for the help, definitely don't feel quite as dumb and boggled as I did before :)

Justin

glow at jackmoves.com