[lug] sendmail from cable/dhcp

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Mar 26 10:03:12 MST 2003

Ok - here are some answers and some hopefully clearer
problem statements.

The sendmail "mailertable" looks like it should help with some of
this.  Here is clear and specific problem that dialup/cable sendmail
users have:

 UMN blocks mail from all "dial-up lines" - including cable.
 http://www.umn.edu/dirtools/etc/blockreasons.html

It looks like using sendmail's "mailertable", described in
/usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf, would address this.

Or, qmail has a "smtproutes" where you can specify the SMTP
server/port to use based on the domain name you're sending to.

I'm suspecting that my other problem with colorado.edu is a
temporary problem caused by attbi dns problems.  So what I
really want is a simple one-shot way to send that queued mail
to mail.attbi.com.  Looks like mailertable would work, but
would require a bunch of config changes, which I would want
to change back when attbi's DNS starts working again.

Anyone know of a simple one-shot approach?

The question of how to deal with sites that check reverse-dns, given
changing dhcp leases, is the last problem.  I think lucent.com
used to do this, so if it is rare, I guess the mailertable approach
should work there also.

Now to try it out....

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60