[lug] sendmail from cable/dhcp

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 26 10:07:41 MST 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 10:58 pm, Neal McBurnett wrote:
>  451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address neal at 12-253-85-111.client.attbi.com
> does not resolve Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
>  Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

As mentioned before, I don't think this error has anything to do with DHCP or
your /etc/hosts file.  To fix it, I think you simply need to use a resolvable
domain in your sender address, for example, neal at example.com.  If you use
sendmail, you can use the DOMAIN and/or MASQUERADE features to accomplish
this.  In this case, example.com should have an MX record that points to an A
record for your box.  Given that your box is subject to spontaneous address
changes, this should probably be maintained using a dynamic DNS service.

Beware that some paranoid mail servers will block inbound messages from
broadband and dialup networks.  Nothing you can do about that, but it doesn't
seem to be the case here.