[lug] sendmail from cable/dhcp

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Mar 26 16:52:33 MST 2003

Success!

I tried the suggestion of John and others - giving up on a sender
hostname that checks out via reverse dns.  I had a hostname via
"dyndns.org" and put that in my /etc/hosts file:
   127.0.0.1       example.dyndns.org localhost.localdomain localhost

and did a `service sendmail restart` and ran "sendmail -q" and that at
least got the queued mail out.  No need for any sendmail.cf changes.
This still fits in with my theory that there is some sort of DNS
problem between attbi.com and colorado.edu.

dyndns.org has a nice, free service and they do have scripts for linux
that can update your dns address if dhcp changes it.

I'm still planning to try out the "mailertable" for two domains - one
of which is a very old sunos machine with a weird, incompatible smtp
server ("Connection reset by example.com"), and the other for umn.edu
which refuses cable and dial-up lines.

And I'll use that also if I run into any reverse-dns-checking servers
out there.  The one that I was thinking of like that turns out to not
do so - it was a different problem.  Sorry about that....

Many thanks,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60