[lug] tset, ttytab, ttytype

John E. Koontz koontz at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Mar 28 09:00:38 MST 2003

I've been wrestling with a tset issue recently and in looking around for
references I've come to the conclusion that tset is not really a supported
element of contemporary Unix, and, especially, of (Red Hat) Linux.  In
particular, the /etc/ttytype or /etc/ttytab tables for terminal type
classification seem to have disappeared, though I keep finding passing
references to them and you can find man pages for them on the Web.   In
essence they're fossils, then, I gather?   Does anyone know anything of the
Linux status or history of this?
John E. Koontz
NIST 896.04 PCSG
303-497-5180