[lug] Wireless kit?

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Mar 30 10:35:34 MST 2003

> > Sure, I have one running just like that on a DSL.  The C678
> > difference is
> > that is will run up to four separate subnets natively, including
> > public IP
> > space, port forwarding, and a number of other options.  That's why I'd
> > differentiate between the two in saying that the ActionTec is a
> > gatewaydevice and the Cisco is a router.  The ActionTec is just a
> > little different,
> > but a DSL/Cable router behind it will give some extended options also.
>
> Good.  I'm looking in the Sunday ads.  Can I expect any of these
> wireless brands to perform about the same, or are some clearly better
> than others?
>
> Gary

You might have to paste this into your browser.  Like all emerging
technologies, it's a moving target.  Linux support information may require
some digging.  Some of the SNMP utilities are Win-based, which may be
problematic if your AP is remotely located on the network.

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/search/1,10121,0-1037-401-0,00.html?tag=d
ir-802b&pn=1&ob=3&qt=802%252E11b&qn=802%252E11b&sm=0

FWIW, I know of a couple DWL-900AP's shooting 1Mb 8.1 miles LOS.  But these
have been superseded by the 900AP+ (lower tx power potential;^( ).

YMMV

Frank