[lug] MySql problem

Terry Branaman t-branaman at attbi.com
Tue Apr 1 21:21:02 MST 2003

I can't get MySql to start.

I tried to upgrade to Mandrake 9.1 from 9.0, but the system wouldn't
boot - the root filesystem wouldn't remount read/write. So I saved my
/home and /etc directories and did a fresh reinstall of 9.0, including
reformatting the hard drive, and allowed the install to upgrade
packages.

Now when I attempt to start MySql I get the following log:

030401 21:10:56  mysqld started
030401 21:10:56  Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission
denied
030401 21:10:56  Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?
030401 21:10:56  Aborting

030401 21:10:56  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

030401 21:10:56  mysqld ended

Any ideas what I have left out to get MySql up and running?

Thanks.
--
Terry Branaman <t-branaman at attbi.com>