[lug] 1 GB RAM boot problems

Warren Sanders sanders at montanalinux.org
Fri Apr 4 09:17:03 MST 2003

Gabriel Westmaas wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am fairly new to linux, so I am hoping this is just something easy
>that I overlooked.  Whenever I try to boot (or install) Mandrake 9.0,
>9.1 or RedHat 8.1 with 1GB of RAM, I get a blank screen and the caps and
>scroll lock flash at me.  I was able to install 9.0 by taking out half
>the RAM, but now that the full GB is back in, I can only boot by going
>into failsafe mode.  Does anyone know how I can boot normally and use
>all of my memory?

I'm not sure about Mandrake, but with RedHat, there is a bigmem kernel.
You don't need it tho because it is for 4GB or more.  So maybe you have
bad memory?  Another option at boot is to pass a kernel  option at boot
to state how much memory there is.  That has been used forever...  even
for way lesser amounts of memory.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org