[lug] 1 GB RAM boot problems

Warren Sanders sanders at montanalinux.org
Fri Apr 4 09:22:02 MST 2003

Warren Sanders wrote:

> Gabriel Westmaas wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am fairly new to linux, so I am hoping this is just something easy
>> that I overlooked.  Whenever I try to boot (or install) Mandrake 9.0,
>> 9.1 or RedHat 8.1 with 1GB of RAM, I get a blank screen and the caps and
>> scroll lock flash at me.  I was able to install 9.0 by taking out half
>> the RAM, but now that the full GB is back in, I can only boot by going
>> into failsafe mode.  Does anyone know how I can boot normally and use
>> all of my memory?
>>

> I'm not sure about Mandrake, but with RedHat, there is a bigmem
> kernel.  You don't need it tho because it is for 4GB or more.  So
> maybe you have bad memory?  Another option at boot is to pass a
> kernel  option at boot to state how much memory there is.  That has
> been used forever...  even for way lesser amounts of memory.

You know what I'm talking about on that kernel option... I think it is
something like linux mem=1GB or something like that.  It's a kernel
option anyway.  Sometimes, because  of miscommunication with the BIOS
(sometimes solved by a BIOS update), the kernel  can't guess/see all of
the memory that is there... so you simply tell it.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org