[lug] hardware problem? / software problem?

Ben Luey lueyb at jilau1.Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 5 09:29:07 MST 2003

I'm wondering if I have a hardware problem, and what part it might be, or
if this could be software.

I did a fresh install of Mandrake 9.1 with what potentially might be a
corrupted CD (the 3rd cd was, but things seem mostly ok if I only used the
first 2 in the install).

Symptoms:

Sometimes when I press the power button to turn on the computer, the fan
turns, but the monitor doesn't get a signal and nothing boots. Pressing
reboot fixes this problem. It has happened a few times before the upgrade
and a few times after

After installing Man 9.1, I compiled a new kernel which worked fine for a
few reboots. Sometimes when I boot I get kernel module loading errors on
startup (unresolved symbols) (but everything works) and half the time I
get that error, the computer crashes right there on startup. But often I
don't get those module loading errors and everthing seems fine.

Galeon / Mozilla is very very unstable. (even if I delete my .mozilla,
.galeon directories) Konqueror seems fine, as does evolution.

Any ideas on what to try to try to find out the source of the problem?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb at jilau1.colorado.edu