[lug] 1 GB RAM boot problems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Apr 6 14:05:43 MDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:32:43AM -0700, Gabriel Westmaas wrote:
>I am fairly new to linux, so I am hoping this is just something easy
>that I overlooked.  Whenever I try to boot (or install) Mandrake 9.0,
>9.1 or RedHat 8.1 with 1GB of RAM, I get a blank screen and the caps and

It sounds to me like you're having a hardware problem.  Try swapping RAM
around to see if you can isolate if it's one of the sticks of RAM.

For 1GB or more of RAM, you need to use a kernel built with the 2GB/2GB
split, instead of the default 1GB/3GB split.  Otherwise you'll only see
somewhere around 900MB of RAM.

Sean
--
 It's not a recursive function except in the sense that it calls itself.
                 -- demoncrat on #python, 1999