[lug] Xircom RealPort Modem/Redhat 8.0

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Apr 7 16:25:03 MDT 2003

Douglas Ohlhorst wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been trying to get a Xircom RealPort CardBus Modem 56
> GlobalACCESS (RBM56G) to work under a RedHat 8.0 on a Dell Latitude
> c640. Kudzu did find the device though checking through the logs files
> it does not set any tty to be used. When checking the /var/log/messages
> file I only see the following lines when the card is inserted:
>
> cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x115d, device 0x0101
> PCI: Enabling device 03:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
>
> I was curious if anybody has any ideas of where I should proceed next,
> any help would be great.

If you do "cat /proc/tty/driver/serial", what do you see? Among the
values listed, can you eliminate any as belonging to a known device?
Typically, the modem will belong to a ttyS# with number between 0 and 3.
The number 0-3 will correspond to a combination of the irq and port. The
common base addresses are 0x3f8 or 0x2f8, in combination with irq 3 or
4. [together there is a possibility for 4 tty's within that range]

Or, to make life simple, you probably have a /dev/mouse, and if it is
not a PSAUX or USB mouse, then it will point to one of the ttyS devices
that you can eliminate. You can then manually do trial and error for the
remaining values of ttyS0 through ttyS3 (COM1-4).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com