[lug] Motherboards

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Apr 8 09:19:17 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 08:43, Jeff Morton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to replace a motherboard.  Is there a place in
> Boulder that has good deals, or should I order over
> the web?  Also, do all motherboards support linux?  Thanks.

Jeff,

You'll have to put some effort into finding a current x86 motherboard
(either for Intel or Athlon) that won't run Linux.  That said, there are
MBs with integrated chipsets for certain features (eg. sound, video,
SCSI, ATA-RAID) that either don't have Linux drivers or the drivers are
flaky.  The good news is that MBs without a lot of integrated features
are cheaper, easier to find, and can always be fleshed out with an
assortment of *well-supported* PCI and AGP cards that will provide the
desired functionality.

If you have questions about a specific board or card, you should use
google or Linux specific hardware sites such as:

  http://www.linuxhardware.org/

which has MB reviews.

hth,
Ed